October 20, 2012

Love is just greed.

Here we go again.  Days all blur into one and suddenly the whole week is gone.  I tell myself I'll blog more, or finally write to friends (sorry, Maggie! I am the worst) and it just never happens.
My roommates made this birthday banner for me.
They are the best.

I'm eighteen now.  It's insane to say I feel any different.  Certainly since coming to college in August I've just felt...well, older.  I think it's because independence ages you.  I'm happy to say I'm no longer a minor and legally an adult, though.  Most importantly, I get to vote in this general election.  I was mailed my absentee ballot and everything.  I also don't have to shy away when people say want to go out to a club, even though for other reasons I'm probably going to say no.

Luckily, I don't need to go to clubs to have a good time.  I've found fun things to do that don't involve drinking or any other stereotypical partying.  For instance, on October 11th, friends and I went to a Italian restaurant called Chianti Grill for my birthday dinner.  It was almost a no-go when the older lady before me at the desk tried to steal my reservation!  I had to politely tell her she was not named Lizzie. That debacle aside, the food was delicious.  I took pictures of what I ate to show to my mom and you all, my lovely readers.  I was in great company with my friends.  

And thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday!  It meant a lot.



I wasn't expecting gifts of any sort, but then Nicole (far right) surprised me with this awesome mix CD, and Rowena (center) gave me a gift card to Wet Paint, the local art supplies store.  I am very grateful to have such thoughtful friends in my life.  It feels good to be loved.

Originally we had planned to see a movie afterward, but I postponed it until Saturday night.  In fact, an almost completely different group of friends joined me to see The Master, which was great.  Particularly because I sat next to the guy I mentioned in my last post.  (I'm smirking.)  I quite enjoyed the film's cinematography, yet was less impressed with the plot line.  I feel like I've only been watching movies staring Philip Seymour Hoffman because this past week for English we screened Capote.  

On the guy front, this past Thursday he happened to pass me in the hall carrying coffee to drink and bread to eat in the kitchen across from my room.  I asked if I could join him, and he said absolutely.  He said he'd make me a cup from his blend if I provided the mug so I did.  We sat together again doing homework, but this time drinking coffee and listening to the swing music he put on.  Eventually we ended up talking, mostly about my "kickass mug" (the Great Mustaches one, thanks UO) and he proceeded to guess them all.

While talking to him is awesome, I'm learning to savor the moments he and I can just spend in the same space.  That said, we have plans to bike to the Mississippi river together at some point, most likely during Fall Break.  I'd like to buy paints before then and remember to take my camera.

I'm honestly just taking every day as it comes.

I hope everyone is well!

Days until Fall Break: 5
Days until Passion Pit concert: 11

6 comments:

  1. It seems like you're living a charmed life in college. Gosh, I wish I was in it.

    Maybe your bike ride will turn into a roMAAAANtic bike ride! ooooOOOOoooOOOOooooohhhHHHHhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAAY! I'm glad you've been having fun!

    Have fun on the bike ride! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a great birthday extravaganza so that's wonderful. Gah, I have yet to receive my absentee ballot and I'm worried it's not going to come in time.

    It's definitely good to be able to have a good time without ~certain substances~. Maybe it's fun for some people, but for me not so much.

    YAY CUTE BOYS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That birthdaydinner looks really nice (the food pictures make me feel hungry!) and ooo, someone seems to be in love! Have fun at your bike ride :). College is probably the right place for you to be right now, you seem so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great birthday! You don't really know what to expect for your first birthday at college (I know I didn't). Isn't it an amazing feeling to know that you've just met these people and they're already such good friends?
    Anyways, keep enjoying school as much as it sounds like you have been!
    (Side note: Super jealous that you have a fall break AND that you're going to a Passion Pit concert)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday fellow Libran! (Coming from the astrology nut.) It looks like you had a wonderful night. I've been pretty bad for blogging myself this past month, and need to get back into the swing of things desperately.

    Ahh, that's so great about your guy friend! (I saw the pic of him you posted a while back, and yes. He is certainly cute.) It's nice to have someone (other than a girl for a change) to connect with.
    If it's your fall break, hope you're having a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete