January 17, 2014

Film Friday: Films I'm Looking Forward To in 2014

Overall, I thought 2013 marked a fairly decent year for film releases.  Finally no more Twilight installments!  Dozens of quality movies hit cinemas, several of which I've yet to see -- The Wolf of Wall Street, FrozenInside Llewyn Davis, American Hustle, Her -- and some I did see -- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Gravity, Monsters University, The Great Gatsby, Frances Ha, The Kings of Summer.  I'm always curious what will be named Best Picture, but I'm not sure I can pick from this year's nominees.  Anyway, 2013 is already behind us so here are the films I'm eagerly awaiting in 2014.

  • dir. Wes Anderson, starring everyone amazing ever Ralph Fiennes, Saoirse Ronan, Tony Revolori, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jude Law, Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson, Léa Seydoux, Jason Schwartzman, William Dafoe
  • IMDb synopsis: "The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend."
  • Why I'm excited:  C'mon, it's Wes Anderson.  Need I say more?  I will add, though, that unlike any of his other films, I'm determined to see this one in theaters with my really good friends.
  • release date: March 7, 2014

  • dir. Neil Burger, starring Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Kate Winslet, Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, Zoē Kravitz, Jai Courtney
  • IMDb synopsis: "Beatrice Prior, a teenager with a special mind, finds her life threatened when an authoritarian leader seeks to exterminate her kind in her effort to seize control of their divided society."
  • Why I'm excited:  I have quite the girl crush on Shailene Woodley and I enjoyed the book enough to see its screen adaptation.
  • release date: March 21, 2014

  • dir. Marc Webb, starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field, Denis Leary
  • IMDb synopsis: "Peter Parker runs the gauntlet as the mysterious company Oscorp sends up a slew of supervillians against him, impacting on his life."
  • Why I'm excited:  The first one in this series wowed me.  I expect good performances, fantastic chemistry and a killer soundtrack.
  • release date: May 2, 2014

  • dir. Bryan Singer, starring Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage
  • IMDb synopsis: "The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants."
  • Why I'm excited: Umm...JAMES 'EFFIN MCAVOY! Plus the excellent ensemble cast.  I suspect an enjoyable superhero flick.
  • release date: May 23, 2014

  • dir. Josh Boone, starring Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Nat Wolff, William Dafoe
  • IMDb synopsis as if we don't already know: "Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey.  Their relationships is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group."
  • Why I'm excited:  Like everyone, the book has a special place in my heart and I'm proud that I've been with the book since the beginning.  This film will just be icing on the cake.  
  • release date: June 6, 2014

  • dir. Francis Lawrence, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Natalie Dormer, Liam Hemsworth, Sam Claflin, Philip Seymour Hoffman
  • IMDb synposis: Katniss Everdeen reluctantly becomes the symbol of a mass rebellion against the autocratic Capitol." 
  • Why I'm excited: Catching Fire made me interested in what Francis Lawrence can do to bring the books to life.  I anticipate this film will be better than the third book.  Besides, I will probably always go pay to see Jennifer Lawrence. 
  • release date: November 21, 2014

  • dir. Rob Marshall, starring Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, Lucy Punch, Christine Baranski
  • IMDb synopsis: "A witch conspires to teach important lessons to various characters of popular children's stories including Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel."
  • Why I'm excited: This is one of my favorite musicals, and once again, the cast looks incredible.
  • release date: December 25, 2014

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lizzie! Thank you for your lovely comment and birthday wishes! I have now updated my profile & about me, haha! Yes, it does feel quite strange to be an 'adult' now, though I'm sure my new 'adult' status will only really hit me once I start university.

    It is so awesome that you've shared such good upcoming films for 2014! The films I'm most looking forward to are definitely The Fault In Our Stars and The Grand Budapest Hotel. I love John Green crazy amounts and that book is one of my absolute favourite books of all time!!! Can't wait to see how it translates to the big screen. I also really need to see some films from 2013 as well... It's so bad that I never go to the cinema, but I reeeally want to see The Wolf of Wall Street, Frances Ha and The Great Gatsby! Definitely adding those onto my list of things to watch!

    Also, that is so strange, I don't think I've been receiving updates of your blog on my feed either! I apologise for not reading and commenting too!!! Really don't understand why that's happening. I've unfollowed and refollowed your blog now though, so hopefully that should fix it. Maybe you could do the same? Fingers crossed it works!

    Hope your 2014 has started off well!

    ReplyDelete