January 10, 2014

Film Friday: Why Films Are Important To Me

My introduction to film analysis class invigorated my passion for film.  Without being too melodramatic, this class' syllabus of films and readings expanded my knowledge of film in a deeply satisfying way.  I have fallen head over heels in love with the craft and art of filmmaking.  Moreover, its nuanced ability to influence culture and in some instances affect real social change thrills me to the core.

All the cells in my body were completely mesmerized as I watched the beauty of Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood for Love.  After only ever reading about or seeing references to Psycho, Rear Window properly introduced me to Alfred Hitchcock and his directorial prowess.  I've never contemplated the serious corrosive nature of capitalism until being fully immersed in the alternate reality of Lars Von Trier's Melancholia.

Beyond the films we saw and the corresponding analyses we read, the class discussions we had illuminated greater truths and provoked deeper questions for me.  I understand the importance of scientific research, but the discoveries I made in this class felt equally important.  With each powerful, brilliant scene that plagued my thoughts, I uncovered a newer understanding of the universe.  I saw the world we inhabit a little bit better.  I saw…humanity.

For the average moviegoer, I would wager elements like camera angles and costume design do not factor into their critiques.  Rather, their focus may be on character identification and believability.  For example, I know one reason I did not enjoy Gravity (2013) was for its depiction of an unrealistic voyage home.  And I think there's nothing wrong with fluffier yet stunning films like this.  I just personally want to challenge myself to think more critically about what I watch: the good, the bad and the ugly.

So I've decided to talk about films on here every Friday.  I hope to span a variety of topics -- from your standard reviews, to (abbreviated) in-depth analyses, to monthly recaps of what I've watched (inspired by Amy) and my thoughts.  I will probably also compile lists of films befitting certain holidays or current events a la mass movie reviewing sites.

In 2013 I saw 127 films.  That's nearly two films per week!  I just can't get enough.  In 2014, I want to beat that record and I think I'm already off to a great start.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, 127 movies? That is intense! You go, girl. I am the worst at watching films, even ones I desperately want to. I did see Melancholia though--that one freaked me out hardcore in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your writing! i'm so excited for these writings you will be doing! i love watching films as well, although i wish i would watch more classic black & white films. do you have any particular films you recommend &/or are on your list to watch soon?

    ReplyDelete