April 04, 2014

Film Friday: "The Grand Budapest Hotel" review

One of my highly anticipated films of 2014, Wes Anderson's latest film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, did not disappoint.  I wasn't quite sure what I was getting into, but before going I did best to keep my expectations undefined.  We had discussed it briefly in my film class and my professor described it as "candy".  I would agree.  Not only was the film's color palette was delectable -- and I am sure that was intentional, given the focus on the treats at Mendl's -- but the symmetrical shots were ultimately pleasing to the eye, like most other Wes Anderson films.  (Don't believe me?  Watch this video.)

The friends I went with noted a darker and more gruesome tone overall, yet without a "dark" or morose character.  Adrien Brody's character may be the closest to that trope.  Generally speaking, though, the actors were phenomenal.  Most critics have acknowledged Ralph Fiennes standout performance as Gustave H., but I really thought Tony Revolori as Zero the lobby boy was the real star.  Each man had great expressions and the scenes with them together were superb.  To me, Saoirse Ronan's character Agatha didn't seem fully fleshed out, and I think I would've wanted other strong female characters represented.

Bottom line, if you like Wes Anderson and his quirky filmmaking style as I do, you will not regret spending the money to go see it as soon as possible.  Here, I will definitely say that watching it in the theater on the big screen was a delightful experience and I highly recommend it.

4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I like how, despite having such a star-studded cast, even those big stars had such little roles. Maybe little isn't the right word. Equal? Like everyone was just as important or not important as everyone else. Very strange and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i didn't realize until reading your review about the darker tone! very interesting.
    good review.

    ReplyDelete