November 10, 2009

Curiouser and curiouser.

found via google.com on this site.

I have yet to read Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass. The two stories are combined into one physical book I own. It includes the original illustrations by John Tenniel, which in my opinion, are the best. The Disney adaptation is nice, but you lose half the detail.

My mom had remarked there being a poem she really liked so I thumbed through and found it. I figured I'd share it with you. It's actually at the very end of Through the Looking Glass.

A boat, beneath a sunny sky
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July --

Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Pleased a simple tale to hear --

Long has paled that sunny sky;
Echoes fade and memories die;
Autumn frosts have slain July.

Still she haunts me, phantomwise,
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.

Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.

In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die.

Ever drifting down the stream --
Lingering in the golden gleam --
Life, what is it but a dream?

--Lewis Carrol

I have tomorrow off from school. It won't feel that way since I still have math and English to complete and a doctor to visit. I'm proud, though, to say I've maintained an 84 ( a 'B') in math!

5 comments:

  1. i do love that story and the originals drawings of the book ! thanks for sharing this !!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Lizzie. It's truly beautiful in a haunting way. Your mom is pretty swell for being interested in great literary works. I wish my parents were mroe into reading. How they produced a book worm nerd like me, who knows? Great job at maintaining your math grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Criminal Minds is SO good. If you are into Law and Order SVU I think you would really enjoy it. They are FBI profilers so it has this really intelligent psychological twist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can tell Im a literary nerd when Im trying to figure out if the poem was Iambic Triameter or if Triameter+1/2 an iamb is something else...

    Still, love the last line...

    ReplyDelete