August 18, 2011

Cognitive dissonance.

Since Em asked what I'm learning in my AICE Psychology class, I figured I'd share the study we've covered thus far.

During the 1960s, psychologist Stanley Milgram devised an experiment to test the Germans Are Different Hypothesis (GADH). Essentially, he wanted to see if Americans would obey a legitimate authority figure. The results were fairly disturbing. I could easily go into more detail, but I think watching this video below will be more stimulating. I'd love to hear what you think, or if you've studied this in some other context.


Now I get to go do the homework I've been -- shamefully -- neglecting.

5 comments:

  1. Whoa, that is actually insanely interesting. I'm almost positive we talked about this same exact thing in English sophomore year. That and something to do with shocking puppies, too...

    This makes me so upset that I couldn't take AP Psych this year... unfortunately it didn't fit in my schedule because of stupid AP Calc and AP Bio. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's interesting. I can't wait to take Psychology myself in eleventh grade :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. >.< I wanted to take a psych class, but I didn't have enough time this year... maybe in college I will.

    That's just really creepy. Although I don't really know how I would act in the situation either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Creative Writing and Psychology double major. We should talk psych sometime! I'm always up for some interesting chat on the brain and behavior.

    I hope you're enjoying psychology thus far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting!
    hope you get all your homework done!! :D

    ReplyDelete