March 28, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor.

This is weird.

My body is clearly telling me to eat something, but nothing seems appealing. Whoa! As if my small intestine knew I was writing about it, it just gurgled. I wouldn't make something like this up.

Right, well, as I was saying, despite this appetite (or lack thereof) I felt compelled to write a post. This post, however, may mark a change in how I approach updating this blog. I'm not sure why, but all of sudden a voice inside me said make something that matters; write about an issue in society. Believe me, I was taken aback by this too. Here I am, on a Wednesday afternoon during my spring break, browsing the Internet like usual, when I am struck by this notion. Maybe it's divine intervention? I really don't know. At any rate, I think I should at least give it a try.

Fortunately, I have a fantastic, relevant topic to discuss: The Hunger Games. More specifically, how this new book-to-movie franchise has affected me, and, by extension, the world at large.

I don't claim to be a sociologist (or any expert on human behavior for that matter), yet as a casual observer I noticed a few things surrounding this particular movie's premiere. Not unlike similar franchises, (Harry Potter, Twilight Saga) the fan base is immense. Still, I think lovers of the book initially, even before the movie was announced last year, i.e. me, were skeptical. I personally wanted to preserve my pictures of the characters. While I feel the movie's Katniss (Jennifer Lawerence), Caesar (Stanley Tucci) and Effie (Elizabeth Banks) were accurate, they still taint my original imagined versions. And at some level, that's not okay.

The sad truth? It doesn't matter how I feel about Hollywood adaptations of books, they're still going to happen. There's no use being upset by it when Catching Fire is already in pre-production and Mockingjay slated to be filmed after that. Time to just sit back and accept it.

What's interesting, though, is the distinct division amongst the book's readers. From my experience, either you loved it or you hated it. For instance, my school's librarian couldn't get past the first few chapter. With the movie, though, I think it's much easier to walk away indifferent. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I don't know.

At their core, the books challenge the idea of a powerful, central government whilst commenting on the propaganda-esque, brain-washing nature of reality television. In fact, as my mom pointed out, shouldn't we, if we love the book so much, refuse to go see something made with the intention of brain-washing us for 2 hours? Furthermore, what if we, as Gale suggests, just stopped watching for a year? What would happen then?

Katniss dismisses it with a blanket "that would never happen." Though I tend to agree, who's to say it couldn't ever be feasible? Nothing is impossible, right? I guess the real question is then, how do we let ourselves be sucked into crazes, fads, fantoms, etc. and what consequences are there for doing so?

Once more, I don't think there's a clear cut answer.

And if there is one, I certainly don't have it.

Note:
My speculations only go so far to try to answer these questions I ask, which is why I will dedicate more time to researching and educating myself before I try to speak on it again.

More importantly, though, I won't let my fear of being wrong stop me from learning or talking about things. I pride myself on being open minded. Thus, if you have a differing opinion, by all means, share it in the comments. If you have a new insight, let me know. If you're an expert in the field, correct me. I don't mind; I encourage it.

Moreover, considering I put a lot of thought into what I just wrote, please don't just say if you liked or disliked the movie. Don't get me wrong, do share your thoughts on it. Please try to at least state why you liked or disliked it, though.

I don't mean to suddenly ask a lot from you guys, I just think it's important for everyone, myself included, to impart more wisdom on issues when they're presented. Plus, I'm tired of feeling limited to only recapping my daily activities.

So there it is, my attempt at something different.

You can feel free to tell me if I was successful, or only remotely, or not at all.

Have a good day.

3 comments:

  1. I believe you hit the nail on the head when you were talking about the book's underlying commentary.

    I always like to think in extremes and I feel like the Hunger Games series gives you a glimpse into a certain extreme ruled by a corrupt government and media.

    I always enter movies open-minded, so I was very happy with how they executed the movie. However, that might have been because I was going in with REALLY low expectations.

    The only thing that I think is sad is the fact that 80% of people who saw the movie aren't going to be as impacted by it as, say, you were. Their thoughts will consist of, "OMG Peeta and Gale are sososososooo hott." So yeah. There are those people.

    I liked your commentary on it, and I look forward to reading more blog posts like this from you! It might even inspire me to get off my lazy ass and post more than mere updates of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so what really struck me as funny when I read this just now was that up until yesterday, I was completely opposed to all things Hunger Games. I refused to be swept up by all of the hype, didn't want to read the books or watch the movie or anything. I even blacklisted everything on Tumblr cause I was so sick of hearing about it every single second of the day.

    Then my friends dragged me to the movie, despite me refusing to go especially because I NEVER go to the movie before reading the book EVER. But they convinced me. And as much as I wanted to hate it, I really enjoyed it. So I bought the book approximately 10 minutes after the movie and started reading it and like it a lot so far and okay I'll admit it I understand what all the hype is about. It's just weird, though, because I'm always watching a movie from the perspective of a book reader and this time was totally opposite. I always look down on the people that read the book after seeing the movie cause I'm like psh, they're only reading it cause it's popular. BUT NOW I'M ONE OF THEM. I HAVE BECOME ONE OF THEM. And I'm kind of having a slight crisis about it.

    So, I don't know. I guess we are just adding in to the brainwashing and hype of the media and everything. Admittedly I tried to read the books last summer but they were always out of the library and none of my friends could lend me them and I didn't want to buy them. BUT THEN I WENT AHEAD AND SPENT MONEY ON A MOVIE TICKET AND BOOK ANYWAY.

    Ugh. I don't know. I don't even know if this rant had any point to it whatsoever. It was basically just me rambling about myself, but hopefully it relates somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. But I was struck by what Lizzi said just now. Half of the reason why I didn't want to watch the movie/read the books in the first place is cause the main thing I heard about it was that there was some love triangle, and all these people on Tumblr posting about how attractive Josh Hutcherson is (who I personally don't find attractive at all) so it was a complete surprise when I found out what the book was actually about. Stupidity on my part for not bothering to actually investigate the contents of the books, but at least I realized the actual merit behind them eventually... sigh.

    ReplyDelete