April 05, 2012

I want to join crew in college.

I've spent most my day surrounded by books.

I started off the day reading Slaughter-House Five as I ate breakfast. (Granted the whole book isn't very gruesome, but even if it was, it probably wouldn't affect my appetite. I remember I once ate breakfast while watching some documentary on Jack the Ripper. I'm sure my brother is cringing as the memory.) Anyway, then I had to go to school and do boring stuff like study for Chemistry and it ruined the whole thing.

Most of my friends moan about having English first period, yet since I get to school at the crack of dawn (the hazards of car-pooling with a staff member), I have grown accustomed to reading and writing at such a time. I honestly prefer it. I want to nap too much in the afternoon. Today we were given time to read An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde and I found myself engrossed. Maybe if I have the proper motivation I will take time this three-day weekend to finish it. I already recommend it.

After English I had a field trip to another high school for a collective book club gathering. Puja and I have attended this for the past four years so we're veterans. I think it's always fun to note the changes. It has certainly grown these past few years, leading me to believe word got out that you get to miss class, eat free pizza and pick a free book. They really spoil us.

For the past two years they've gotten an author to talk via Skype about their book. The author last year was Gayle Forman, and she spoke about If I Stay, which was featured on the Florida Teens Read List for 2010-2011. She was kind and all, but this year we spoke with Kiersten White who won me over with her quick wit and eloquence. It made me feel bad I didn't read her book, Paranormalcy. The craziest part, in my opinion, was that she mentioned John Green and his explanation for using the name Hazel when asked how she thought up the names for her characters, saying she was not as thought out as he was and enviously so. I could be mistaken, but she sounds like a Nerdifighter and that made me happy.

A quick summary of the trip otherwise:
Food: 2 slices of cheese pizza and a handful of chips
Drink: Sprite
People I talked to outside of my friends: three
Free book: Looking For Alaska by John Green (because you know, why not?)
Pictures I took:
I promise they're not high.


I know this BEDA post has mainly been a summary of my day, but I assure you tomorrow's will be better. It's as much about you as it is about me. I am learning some really far-out stuff* and I want to do my best to share it. I might even film a vlog!?

The Easter weekend is almost upon us! How do you plan to celebrate? My family isn't even dying eggs anymore, not to mention hiding them. Oh, the woes of being a youngest child.

I will talk to you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had a cool book club thing like that in my town :/

    Slaughter-House Five is one of my favorite books! Also, I'll have to check out An Ideal Husband... but I'll probably have to wait until AP exams are over before I get to read it :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of your book club! I have always wanted to be in a book club. I mean, aside from the Blogger Family Book Club.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. No that sounds like a fun day!! YAY FOR BEDA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that seriously sounds like such a cool book club :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ate breakfast while watching a video of someone's tooth getting pulled out and I wasn't bothered, haha, so don't worry. I hate the fact that I've never read any Oscar Wilde books so I will have to change that at some point. Free pizza and a free book? Um, hell yes. That sounds fantastic to me. I'm not doing anything for Easter besides being forced to go to dinner at my aunt's house, haha.

    ReplyDelete