September 08, 2009

Let's cut to the chase.

I failed my math test. I haven't seen the grade written on a paper anywhere to confirm, yet if the online records are correct, I failed. As soon as I found out, I bawled my eyes out. I was horrified, especially since I figured I did really well. The teacher generally hinted that people made "stupid arithmetic errors," during class today and that just upsets me even more if that's in fact what happened with me. So, although I don't know the full story, I think it's time I got tutoring or whatever. I don't want to fall completely into the same hole I did last year.

And you see, I thought that an 82 and an 86 on my two quizzes leading up to the test covering the same material would mean something. Guess not. I'm trying not to be bitter about it and approach it as a mistake that needs correcting. Yes, one can argue that I failed (I know because I did through streams of tears) and okay, perhaps I did. I'd be a true failure and complete fool to ignore it and not care. I care and want desperately to learn from it. Cheesy moral? Yes.

I'm sure I'll recover and I will surely work that much harder from now on.

Here's the art project I've been waiting to finish and show you guys! It's a necklace made out of copper.




Basically I took a copper piece (that was already formed into a crescent moon) and drew on in sharpie a design (the panda lounging on a tree) so I could etch it. Etching involves taking a material (usually glass) and using an acid to eat away at it. After that, I cleaned it and then torched it. I literally put it up to a torched flame until it had my desired mix of colors. Then I put on a polish, filed the edges (they were very sharp) and drilled the hole. Viola!

8 comments:

  1. oooOOOoo, that's an awesome necklace piece. Think you can take a picture wearing it? I'm really interested in seeing how it'd look. I'm so darn curious. C:

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i love the necklace piece, its beautiful!
    sorry to hear about the maths test. I do terribly on those frequently, I now expect it. Good times.
    And thanks for being one of my followers (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, the necklace is so pretty! And sorry about your math test :( It happens, but you know, at least you can learn from it instead of giving up or continuing on as normal, as I would've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww don't get down. it's only one mark. even the best of us make mistakes. just don't worry about it and put all your efforts into working hard for the next test and you'll do better.

    ps. amazing art project

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about your math test. just remember: math=logic, don't overconfuse yourself. Cool process with the etching. I really want to take metal design in school but there absolutely no room in my schedule.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your math test. The worst feeling is thinking you are comfortable with the material and then doing poorly on the test. It's a big blow and it is one of the lamest parts of educational life. I read a quote recently, "the only difference between stumbling block and steeping stones is how you use them." So you this as a stepping stone to get tutoring or whatever help you can and beat math's butt! (I secretly feel your teach misled you a bit. If you did good on the quizzes the test shouldn't have been a curve ball.)

    Your necklace is stellar! I am always in love with anything artistic you do!

    I love your idea for an advice type blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your math test. The worst feeling is thinking you are comfortable with the material and then doing poorly on the test. It's a big blow and it is one of the lamest parts of educational life. I read a quote recently, "the only difference between stumbling block and steeping stones is how you use them." So you this as a stepping stone to get tutoring or whatever help you can and beat math's butt! (I secretly feel your teach misled you a bit. If you did good on the quizzes the test shouldn't have been a curve ball.)

    Your necklace is stellar! I am always in love with anything artistic you do!

    I love your idea for an advice type blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool necklace! Ugh, I cry over tests way too often, too... Hopefully, things will start to look up :)

    ReplyDelete